17 July 2007

Family Ties

First, let me thank you all for your immeasurable support and your words of encouragement and inspiration. In a world where people tend to shy away from those in need, it's nice to know there are still some that show up instead of walking up. You're simply the best!

I took a much need mini vacation and went to visit family and had a great time. I spent time with my older brother and family to include his in-laws who welcomed me like I was one of their own. That was a lovely feeling; especially when I have no blood relatives close to me outside of lil lady.

I also went to my cousin's wedding and hung out with the rest of the crazy cousins. We're the kind of people that we simply pick up where we left off and never worry about the lack of communication in between. We spend our time catching up, eating, drinking, and talking trash. If any of you have ever spent any time with a close knit Jamaican family, then you have an idea of what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you're missing a truly good time. My best friend Rayne, got her taste of my clan a few years ago and has become an honorary "Jamerican" and was welcomed into the clan. She looks forward to the annual get together in Orlando where the majority of the cousins live. We're planning for the upcoming one in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, I'll recover enough to tell you all about it, but trust me, some of the details are on a Vegas level *wink* so I won't be sharing everything.

Being around them filled me with love, warmth, closeness, and all the things I needed to refresh and rejuvenate myself. The time away was well worth the 6-hour drive one way to see them.

It's amazing how a few days away from work, home, and your usual environment can waken your senses, clear your mind, and help you to live a little better. I certainly know how important it is to treasure family and to make the most of your time together; as I said, I don't get to do it often.

We all get busy and we all have obligations, but take a little time out for yourself and for your family/friends/loved ones. What's the sense in acquiring all that leave time if you don't use it? Even if you can only take one day off, make it a good one and do something memorable.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, I've been standing by the door with my foot tapping and arms folded. Glad you enjoyed yourself Ma. Welcome back!

Sweetstickychewy said...

This is a very thoughtful post and something that is indeed very important.:)

I realised over the weekend how family is so importnat. They make me really happy esp when its a moment where we all gather.

Wrote about my realisation in ma post "w.o.r.t.h" recently.

Thanks for sharing Blu Jewel. Glad u had an awesome time and some time out.;)

Cheers!

Blu Jewel said...

Sojo - you're funny! i actually had that image in my head and it made me laugh.

sweet - yes, family is very important and it's a relationship what needs to be maintained and nurtured. too often, we take it for granted because "they're family", but they deserve the time and attention too.

Believer said...

Being with family and friends is important to our overall contentment as humans. We need that connection, especially when we are in the midst of crisis or a change in the seasons of life.

I'm missing my family and friends very much these days. However, for reasons I know and don't know this time is it not perfect for visiting. Therefore, I'm thankful for technology that keeps us all up to date until we see each other in person.

Anonymous said...

Jamerican? - That's cute! Yes, yall are a lively and loving bunch!!! I look forward to the annual Orlando trip. And this time, we ain't missin that good yard bfast for some damn Cracker Barrel...LOL